Wednesday, July 15, 2015
Wednesday, July 8, 2015
I have been trying, over the past week and a half, to get enthused about Swallow’s End, my embryonic 2mm shunting plank. The biggest hurdle has been finding time – and the second has been dealing with the procrastination streak I have running during daylight hours, owing to it being school holidays (hence having time – sort of) and the kids all being home too. Couple this with not being at “home” as such (renovations going ok but I’d be happier if they were going better) and you can see why I get bogged down. Evenings are different – more of which later – but I need the space and that means outdoors and daylight hours.
Today was a bit different. I had help. And whilst “help” when you have five kids, the eldest being 9, can be a very subjective term I was pleased that Hollie (who rated a mention in the Toowoomba Train Show post) was interested in building soldered track and was quite good at it. She even (shock horror) listened to instructions and didn’t argue!!!
Anyway, as my students at school are wont of saying, pictures or it didn’t happen so:
All in all, two 60’ lengths in a couple of hours, all on chair plates (Versaline for those playing at home). No burnt fingers and no frayed tempers either. Apparently she is now allowed her own soldering iron…
Hopefully more track down on Friday. Not going to make it to the LAG meeting with a working plank on Saturday however. Still issues with getting the points to work – and time. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.
Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Last year I wrote about the Kickstarter project by Andy Vaughan here. This was followed up with my progress with the sheds here in February. Since then, other UFO projects have managed to get in the way but I started on the Semi-detached House kits (see here for the picture on Andy’s website) a few weeks ago. Progress has been slow but today I managed to get to this:
Now the quick and astute will notice that it looks more like a Terrace than the picture on Andy’s website. This is because on looking at the dimensions, I felt that the two houses were a bit small to be as described but I also felt that with a few of them, they would make a pretty good terrace of two up, two down workers houses. And so it has proven.
As one of the Kickstarters, I was able to get a few of them at the time – so I got 8 of these. The fifth is at the back of the four, and a sixth has made it to a similar stage to the fifth. I fitted the roofs to the four today (this is the front by the way) and will get onto putting the extra detail which wasn’t included in the kit – guttering, down pipes and so forth over the next few days. As I presently don’t have access to the layout to see how they are going for length, I won’t be adding to it at this stage but I expect 7 or the whole 8 will probably be needed.