Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Diorama - 2012

Last year, as long time readers will know, I built a cattle dock in 2mm Finescale and then built a diorama to display it on.  This model (well both actually) won at the BRMA (Q) modelling competition (the cattle dock for Line Side Structure and the diorama for the Diorama section).

As part of the mission to learn new skills and practice old ones, the N Gauge group which meets here at my shed once a month (members of the NGS, 2mmSA and BRMA are all welcome to come along and join us - please get in touch if you are interested or visiting Brisbane at any time) we decided to build A4 sized dioramas this year.  There isn't a prize involved and there isn't a time limit, although there is a tentative deadline of our Christmas meeting in December so that action takes place.  Rather it is about having a go and do something to as high a standard as an individual is presently capable of.  Assuming someone does something which the rest find to be of a very high standard, then that person has to share what he or she did.

Various ideas bounced around my head, mostly of a county setting.  A level crossing on a single line branch was considered as was a culvert running under an embankment.  Discussions with my wife had her suggest an urban theme along the lines of "Swallow Street" - my 2010 3rd rail layout which was on RM Web.  I had decided to scrap this and rebuild it when we got home from Longreach as I wasn't particularly happy with it - mostly because I had made it out of scrap bits and pieces from the woodworking classroom at LSHS and I had not had access to my complete range of tools and bits and pieces.

So going with this idea, and armed with the various diagrams of track and building clearances in the 2mmSA Yearbook, I commenced.  Progress has been slow but I have got the board done, a set of platforms (correct width) in and sorted out the track height.  Next is to do something about the street level (train in a drain being a good description of it) and then I can start decorating.  Just need a good name for it now.

Photo of progress below:

No comments:

Post a Comment