Friday, April 10, 2015

New Farish Duchess

I have been impressed with the various versions of the new Duchess Bachmann have released under their Farish brand for the N Gaugers for a while.  I have seen a number of them, belonging to fellow members of the SEQ Area Group but have only recently obtained one myself via eBay. 

I picked up 46229 “Duchess of Hamilton” in maroon for a good price – more so when I consider that the local Australian price if one does support the Local Hobby Shop is $420.  Given Hatton’s and other sell for half that (and I got mine less than that again) you can see why we generally don’t buy our locos out here.

The latest NGS Journal arrived today (10 April) and it had a letter from a bloke “over the ditch” in New Zealand enthusing about two examples which have made it to the Land of the Long White Cloud.  According to the letter, they haul 15 and 19 coaches.  This is pretty good and allows for prototypical haulage.  We put mine to the test on Sturminister Newton last week and it didn’t have any trouble with 25.  The train was made up of 13 Farish LMS coaches and 12 Farish Mk1s as shown in the accompanying video.  All in all, very happy with the purchase.

I have since renamed and numbered it 46245 “City of London” and retired my old Poole version of the same name/number.  I know London is available but not at the eBay price Hamilton was.  Now all I need is to get my hands on a green one (46253 “City of St Alban’s) and a blue one (46237 “City of Bristol”) and all my old ones will head out onto the Bay of E and to new homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment