Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Something Different - Object A, Part I

I received an email from a mate of my father's a couple of weeks back seeking help on a railway matter.  My dad, bless him, had decided I was a suitably qualified person to approach for said help which turned out to be a question regarding painting and lining a locomotive.  Would I be willing to have a go at it? 
 
The model in question is photographed below:
 
 
This is a C38 class Pacific of the New South Wales Government Railways.  The first 5 of the class were semi streamlined - see elsewhere for my model (which hasn't progressed I'm embarrassed to say) and the last 25 looked like this, albeit in various shades of green with varieties of lining and smoke box colour; a real engine pickers nightmare.  Further queries established it was HO (which I expected since John doesn't model N!) and is a Samhongsa Model from Korea.  I was willing to give it a go and, having spent a weekend in Sydney visiting Phil Badger (BadgerBits Generalissimo) and getting the low down on colours (pretty well every shade of Green seems to be OK!) I invited John and his wife over for a BBQ to inspect the model and see what could be done.
 
The result of a couple of afternoons with the spray can and then a few evenings with the paint brush is below:
 
I am very pleased with it generally - although the silver roof needs to be redone as the brush marks show up too much for my liking.  Now there is the matter of lining it out in red and yellow and putting 3830 on it.  The general idea is to match this:
 
(I have searched via Google for the original as I would expect this to be on the net.  I couldn't find it hence posting the picture rather than the link.  If someone knows the copyright holder (who most assuredly isn't me!) could you pass on his or my details in whichever direction so I can seek permission - or alternatively, point me at the web address for the photo and I'll take down the photo and put the link up in its place.  Thanks)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment