Sunday, November 25, 2012

Winners are grinners!

OK, seriously I am not gloating - I wasn't even there to see the quality of the competition.  We had storms in Brisbane on the day of the comp and I was on a light aircraft and so didn't actually make it to the venue until mid afternoon by which stage the only models left were mine!!!  However, I did manage to win two trophies - one for the fourth time which was special as it was the one I was most wanting to win - and one for the first time,  which is equally special as I hadn't entered that category before (mind you, I was amazed that my Fleetline Garratt was judged the best in the category for Kit or Scratch built locos against some 7mm models.)
 
The model which got me the modified RTR trophy for the 4th time (under the rules of the competition this is the most times I could have won it in the last 9 years) was one of my Peco Jubilees.  The blurb I included with the model is below:
 
Category B – Modified Ready To Run Locomotives
Scale:               British N Scale (1:148)
Prototype:       BR (Ex LMS) Jubilee 45565 “Victoria”
The model:      Peco by Riverrossi. The model started life in post war LMS Black livery and was un-numbered and not named.  It has received a complete repaint into BR Express Locomotive Green.  The lining transfers are by Model Master with an etched brass nameplate produced by a modeller in the UK as a bespoke job have been applied.  Extra details include: lamp irons, head lamps (Class C for fully fitted freight/parcels/milk traffic), screw link coupling on the front, brake pipes front and rear, glazing on the cab forward and side windows (Krystal Klear), real coal in the tender and a crew.  The tender has had turned brass vents to replace missing plastic ones (the model was purchased second hand in 1996, some 20 years after production had ceased) and the rivets taken off to represent a welded tender, one of which was fitted to the locomotive from 1936, although this one, in Green with the Crest, would be numbered 10152 – assuming you could read the plate on the rear of the tender! – and fitted in 1961 (or it could be 9696 fitted in 1946 and presumably painted lined green with the Crest at some stage prior to 1961).
My wife kindly took some pictures today while I was refereeing the kids.  She did manage to a) drop it and b) remove one of the crew in her attempts but fortunately nothing terminal.
 
 

 
I'll get around to photoing the Garratt in due course.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment