Thursday, April 8, 2010

Ultima Models

I got the two models shown below on Tuesday (6 April) and made a start on the SR BLV that night. Mostly finished I got it to the stage shown Wednesday morning. The Monster I did on Wednesday afternoon. Both are very enjoyable kits to build.

Ultima Models SR Bogie Luggage Van Dia 3096/3098

Ultima Models GWR Monster (Giant) Dia P18

I blame my mate Ben Lawson for these actually. He got an example of the BLV to run on his Sturminister Newton Layout with his Pines Express set. His blog is here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/161-neb-from-downunder-n-gauge-blog/ Scroll down if necessary for the pictures of his BLV.

Neither of us have managed to work out a satisfactory way of doing the roof overlay yet.

Next on the Ultima list is their Siphon F and Thompson BG kits - they were ordered last night.

You will notice (hopefully) that they don't have bogies. The BLV doesn't come with bogies and will end up on 2mm FSA 8' SR Steam Bogies. The Monster does come with bogies but I decided they are a bit rough and I will put the 2mm FSA bogies under it too. The kit for the Monster apparently comes with buffers but mine was missing these (if they are supposed to be in there - the instructions have a few things which I noticed could do with updating but Ultima is still coming back on line after a hiatus so fair play). It isn't a big deal as I will get said buffers from the 2mm FSA when I get the bogies. The Thompson needs bogies too so once I work out which type I will fill in my order to Shop 4 - the next order that is! Do UFOs ever run out???

Next job is to prime and then paint. The Monster will end up Humbrol Number 10 with a light grey roof and distressed GW lettering (the plan being to run it in both the 1930-1940's and also in the early BR period). The BLV is going to be Green - Dulux Fiddly Bits Heritage Green for those of you in Australia. Available at Bunnings for not much.

No comments:

Post a Comment