Step one - stick the DS tape on the outside of the sleepers. In this case it is 3mm wide DS tape and, while I am not sure if it is right, it looks right to me so by virtue of Rule 1, that is what I have!!
Step two - expose the upper sticky side (and in my case I cut away from where the cattle dock is going) and then sprinkle on the ballast. As previously mentioned it is the Woodland Sceneics variety. Can't remember which type - search back though the blog to find it.
Step three - using your wife's eyelash brush (with permission - in my case Amity volunteered it at the original ballasting session) arrange the ballast as neatly as possible. Be warned, too much pressure on the bristles of the brush and you may have to start again. How do I know this????
Step four - using a NEW fine tipped brush (new works better cause the bristles aren't hard) do the final detailing bits.
Step five - using a fine atomiser (again, if you are lucky like me, your wife will donate one from her stash of "stuff". This one is particularly good.) wet the track. I use window cleaner in my water as the tension release agent as it doesn't sud up.
Step six - Apply the PVA/H2O mix. I use a surplus Children's Panadol syringe. If you have enough children you have plenty of these around! Make sure you keep it with your ballasting kit and don't use it on the kids!
Once applied it should look something like this. I went along and did some further touch ups with a cocktail stick and the end of my metal straight edge to ensure things were no going to set in the wrong spot.